Traditional Christmas Pudding – gluten free, grain free and dairy free
A decadent, moist and full flavoured pudding, gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
375g raisins, roughly chopped
200g dried apricots, roughly chopped
150g pitted prunes, roughly chopped
¾ cup brandy
¼ cup green ginger wine
½ cup fruits of the forest jam (any dark berry jam will work)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon mixed spice
4 eggs, at room temperature
250g butter, melted, cooled – DAIRY FREE use 250g coconut oil
4 tablespoons of grape seed oil 1 cup soft brown sugar
1 1/4 cups of Natural Evolution Ultimate Gluten Free Baking Flour – Green Banana Flour for baking
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1. Place dried fruit, brandy, wine, jam and spices into a bowl. Mix well. Cover. Stand overnight, stirring occasionally.
2. Grease a 10-cup capacity pudding basin with melted butter. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Brush with butter again. Line base of bowl with baking paper.
3. Whisk eggs and butter together. Add to fruit mixture with sugar. Add flour, oil and bicarbonate of soda over fruit mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon into prepared basin.
4. Cut 1 large sheet of foil and 1 large sheet of baking paper. Lay paper over foil. Make a 3 cm pleat in the middle. Place, paper-side down, over pudding. Secure with string or use pudding lid to lock down.
5. Place an upturned saucer into the base of a large, deep saucepan. Place basin onto saucer. Pour hot water into saucepan so it comes one-third of the way up the side of the basin. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Keep checking water level because the water can evaporate and may need to be topped up. Simmer for 5 hours or take off lid and check with a skewer this is risky as it is very hot. Remove pudding from water. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn onto a platter. Serve as desired. Alternatively, cool completely then store.
NOTE: Mixture can also be used to make individual puddings. Grease cupcake pans add mixture bake 180C for 30-40mins.