10 Reasons why you should be using Green Banana Resistant Starch
When it comes to the health benefits of resistant starch – its undeniably one of the most underrated, unknown and yet to be discovered functional foods in the world. However, not all resistant starches are made equal. While only a handful of foods contain Resistant Starch many of them are in low quantities, can be destroyed through cooking or come from genetically modified sources.
In 2013 an Australian Banana Farmer Robert Watkins of Walkamin discovered the richest source of resistant starch in a variety of bananas grown in Tropical North Queensland. While regular bananas consumed by the mass market such as Cavendish or Plantains still contain resistant starch (they must be green) they only contain a mere half the resistant starch as their cousins known as Lady Fingers. Not only are Lady Fingers the richest natural source of resistant starch in their green form but they are also loaded with other naturally occurring benefits. 1 tablespoon of Natural Evolution Green Banana Resistant Starch can deliver the daily recommended intake of resistant starch. See comparison guide below
Green Banana Resistant Starch has stacks of positive health benefits here are the top 10 !
1, 2 and 3 all go to Multifibre! Collectively these 3 fibres can transform your digestion, body and overall health and wellbeing.
– Resistant starch – fermentable fibre
– Inulin – soluble fibre
– Dietary Fibre – insoluble fibre
These fibres work like a prebiotic, they feed your microbiome (billions of tiny good bacteria which lives in your gut and controls much of your overall health). When the fibres enter your digestive system they encourage production of digestive enzymes which nourish you good bacteria and in turn heals your gut.
Improved and more regular bowel movements. Reduce symptoms and promote regular bowel movements in those suffering constipation or IBS.
Weight Loss – Often referred to as a second meal, resistant starch in this form allows you to eat once and have the satisfied feeling of eating twice. Resistant Starch in this form also increases metabolism and removes aflatoxins and inflammation.
Increases absorption and capacity of antioxidants and minerals – especially calcium which can aide in preventing Osteoporosis.
Promotes colon health and aide in the prevention of colon cancer.
Prevents diabetes and aide in the treatment of diabetes.
Lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Reduces the incidence of gallstones.
Reduces symptoms of diarrhea.
4. 5HTP – Increases the production of Serotonin. Serotonin helps in maintaining sleep, mood, libido, energy, appetite, and reduces anxiety.
5. Magnesium – A vital catalyst in enzyme activity especially energy production while it also helps prevent depression, dizziness, muscle weakness and PMS. Magnesium also helps maintain the bodies pH balance and temperature.
6. Potassium – Supports the nervous system. Helps prevent stroke, aides muscle contraction and works with sodium to control the body’s water balance.
7. Zinc – While most of its popularity is attributed to skin, nails, and hair zinc plays many other important roles in maintaining a healthy body. Zinc is important for a healthy immune system, healing wounds, healthy growth and development in childhood, cognitive function and eye health just to name a few.
8. Vitamin E – Antioxidant is most widely known to benefit skin, provide protection against toxins and maintain healthy eye and brain function.
9. Gluten free, grain free, sugar-free, low salicylate vegan and paleo. Made from green bananas.
10. Easy to use and delicious. Simple incorporate 1 heaped teaspoon into your daily routine. Can easily be consumed in water, juice, smoothie or sprinkled on cereal.
Take is slow! Start by using only a half teaspoon and gradually increase. You can experience some gas or bloating as your gut flora evolves.
Bananas must be firm green to contain any worthy of reporting resistant starch. Ripe yellow bananas have gone through a natural ripening process known as “hydrolysis” where their starches have converted to sugar. Bananas when ripe contain sucrose, fructose, and glucose – up to 4 teaspoons of sugar per piece of fruit. In recent years’ banana flour has gained great popularity as a resistant starch source, while this is correct in some cases consumers must be careful to ensure the processing technique as most bananas have first been boiled to easily remove the skin. Boiling green bananas, of course, changes the nutrition, heating starch produces sugar. Natural Evolution (formerly Mt Uncle’s Banana Flour) was the first company to commercially produce banana flour is still ahead of the game in designing world first technology known as Nutro-Lock which takes a green banana to powder in under 25minutes (most other fruits or vegetables too for that matter). The technology was designed to produce banana flour and resistant starch without the unnecessary and damaging technique of boiling bananas to remove the skin.
Scientifically proven to lock in fresh, Natural Evolution products produced with Nutro-Lock technology test 20-50 times more nutritious than other processing methods. Nutro-Lock is natural, cold, raw, gentle and low-speed food preservation technology. Recently Nutro-Lock technology by Natural Evolution has been awarded the 2016 Queensland Premiers Sustainability Award for Sustainable Technologies and the prestigious 2016 Banksia – Food for Sustainable Thought Award.
When your gut is happy and nourished there are many positive benefits which flow on throughout the body.
Green Banana Resistant Starch encourages the growth and activity of microorganisms (e.g. bacteria and fungi) this contributes to the well-being of their host (you!).
Researched and written by Krista Watkins